Why The Gobi Bear
- because Mazaalai is the only Bear specie that lives wild in the desert on the entire Earth
- because Mazaalai is the last preseved Bear specie that does not live in the zoo in other places
- because Mazaalai is the same cute and rare bear specie as Panda and Koala who enjoy worldwide care & conservation
- because Mazaalai is not only Mongolia’s nature given national gift, but he is a treasure of the worldwide wildlife kingdom.
- because Mazaalai must be available for our future generations to enjoy & learn about this rare animal
Why they die?
- shortage of food & water in early sprting
- disturbance by livestock & people
- accidental traps & kills
- migration for access to water & food
- competition for food & territory with livestock & humen activities.
There is no unified understanding and statistics on the bear population yet both in Mongolia & world. Mazaalai is the most less studied & investigated bear on the planet. The best estimated number of this specie could reach between 20-25 heads at present. Under the present circumstances of Mongolia’s & worldwide climate changes, Mazaalai faces far more dangers to go extinct than in the trevious decades. In this native home, Mongolia, Mazaalai is out of public & private attention. The world does not know this rare bear at all. But every infant & senior citizen in the world see photos & pictures of Pandas & Koalas everyday. There is no Mazaalai in the zoo anywhere. Should they die off in Mongolia there will not any change to re- introduce Mazaalai.
- establish a national non profit organisation for scientific research & conservation of Mazaalai
- announce 27 September as Save Mazaalai National Day for fundraising & public education to raise awareness
- include mazaalai conservation projects into international conservation programm
- establish regulation for travel & tourism related businesses to donate an amount of proceeding to the foundation
The immediate projects:
- start population census
- protect & restore oases, ponds & springs in the habitat areas
- do feasibility studies for waterholes & feeding stations projects
- study & implement re- introducing in previous habitat